Songs We Love / Songs We Hate

worth 5% of course grade

DUE: Sept. 15

In the modules below, use the "insert media" tool above to add mp3 files of one song you love and one you hate. Don't forget to add your name next to each, along with the title and artist. And write one sentence for each song about why you chose it. We will use these songs for our first DJ sets at KLMU.

(You can also embed videos from YouTube, however this seems to make the system slow down so mp3 files are preferred, so if you need to convert a YouTube file to Mp3 you can do it here: http://www.youtubetomp3.com/)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Excerpts from DJ intros: Songs We Love

DJ's pairs on the air for the first time

Kaidi Mao

Song I love

The song I love is called  Cocaine Model by a Dj/producer called ZHU. I listen to this song a lot these day, because I love the beats, the lyric and also the vocal part of the song. I think this song works really well in a chill night bar, or even a fashion runway show, anyway, its just very relaxing.

Song I hate

The song I hate is called Chains by Nick Jonas. I don't really hate this song, but I just feel weird of listening to it. I feel like this type of song is really not suit Nick Jonas, I think he can find better song to work with.

Songs I love/ hate

Sleigh Bells- Infinity Guitars

I love this song because its kind of low fi and heavy.

Sting- Shape of my Heart

My mom used to play this song and it used to drive ime insane. I cant get over how corny it is.

songs I love////songs I hate 

Chelsea McCarthy 

The Cure: Can You Help Me 

I love everything The Cure does. Robert Smith writes smart and attainable lyrics that resonate time and time again. 

Lydia: It's in your blood 

I really dislike this artist...the vocal skills are mediocre and the instrumentals are boring. Plus, my ex-boyfriend put Lydia's entire album on my itunes account a while back, making me dislike Lydia even further. 

SONGS I LOVE - SONGS I HATE

Josh Wallace

Song I love - Temecula Sunrise by Dirty Projectors

I love this song. David Longstreth is a master at guitar and tempo. I have never heard anyone with his ability to mix falsetto voices and so many tempos into one concise and beautiful song.  

Song I hate - Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus 

I don't want to even grace this song with a full sentence of my dislikes for it. Its so incredibly tacky, and god awful. If asked, I'm sure miley would also agree, considering her current identity.  

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Zhikan Tan 

Songs that I hate/like

Song that I hate

As an international student, I came from Asian music culture. I do love most of the Asian music in different format and styles. Also, I like some of the music from eastern. However, the lyric of the eastern songs do not have deep meaning compare to most of Asian songs.  For example, recentaly I really hate this song - Fancy. It is a song from lggy Azalea. Even thoguh it is super popular in America, it is super aweful for me to listen to.

Here is the Chinese song that l like the most. It is a song from singer Jay Chou called "煙花易冷". It combines the chinese traditional music elements and modern music feature.  Also, the lyric of the song is write like a chinese traditional poem. I really love this song and the artist.

Alaia Orlick's Songs I love/hate

Song I love:

Cashing In

by Minor Threat

I was having so much trouble finding my favorite song, so I just chose a song that didn't have any swear words in it, close my eyes and picked. Runner ups was "seeing Red" by Minor Threat and "First Song Part II" by Ramshackle Glory. This song pretty much like all of their other songs makes me wanna go dance or run around a mosh pit. This is probably one of their most calm songs. The lyrics to this song are very sarcastic, in your face and I'm pretty sure they're making fun of sell outs. This is the kinda song I love to sing along to. (I sing along to every song that I know the lyrics to, so I don't know if that counts, never mind) 

Song I hate:

1,2,3... Slam!

by Guttermouth

Okay, so I just wanna say, that I was actually trying to find a popular song to hate on, but I don't listen to those songs enough to have a huge sense of boiling hatered for it. And I don't wanna hate on a song I barely know, so I just gave up and went with this song. First of all this song just annoys me so much. I have absolutely nothing against his lyrics. It is pretty much the only punk song I hate. Whenever it comes on my phone in the car, I have to immediatley change it because I just can't stand it. I don't care for the lyrics and I don't care for the singers voice. I can only say I have props for the beat. Other than that, I just think the lyrics and the way he sings it isn't catchy/cool. 

Andrea Schmidt

Song I Love: Clocks by Coldplay

I've loved this song since I was a kid. I remember thinking "Wow, what a cool song," whenever I heard it on the radio, but not knowing who did it or where I could find that out. Eventually as I got older I acquired that information and Coldplay has since become one of my favorite bands. I love how ethereal their music sounds, and you could probably say it's songs like this that have influenced my tastes in music over the years. If it sounds the way you'd feel floating in some great cosmic pool, chances are I probably dig it.

Song I Hate: I Write Sins Not Tragedies by Panic! At the Disco

First of all: pretentiously long title. Second of all: overplayed TO DEATH when it was popular. I was never a fan of the song to begin with, but overplaying tunes kills everything, and the aftertaste in my mouth is still strong from this one. However, I have nothing against Panic! At the Disco; I've since heard some of their later work and definitely enjoyed it. Just not this one. Bleh.

Fran Almanza

Song I love:

Tiara Thomas  -  "One Night"

It was really difficult to choose a song that I love, so I went with one that I love right now. I love the instrumentals and her voice in this song so much. Tiara Thomas is a new artist in hip hop so she's not so well known but after listening to this song I don't think she'll have a problem getting noticed.

Song I hate:

Iggy Azalea - "Fancy"

I really dislike this song, I'm sorry if anyone is a fan of Iggy.. I used to be. But ever since this song came out I have not liked any new song from her. She's too played out. 

Vanessa Quintanilla

The song I chose is Only Love Can Hurt Like This by Paloma Faith. I heard this one through a radio station on Spotify and I just love her voice. It’s elegant yet powerful, and going through the song I can just feel her voice getting more passionate and soulful. I love the beat and when it comes to her voice, I can just feel it become more powerful throughout, especially in the chorus.

As for a song I dislike, I’m going to have to go with Turn Down for What by DJ Snake & Lil Jon. It has just been played out too much and has become annoying. Whenever I hear the first few beats when I’m switching radio stations in the car, I make sure to change it as quick as I can.   

Cara Friedman

Song I Love: Naive by The Kooks

I've loved this song for a while now. Has such a good feel to it. Musically it's interesting and beautiful. The singing is lovely. I love most of what this band does. It's a good modern rock song with alternative roots too. I know it's been a big one for a while and normally I get tired of those songs, but never this one.

Song I Hate: Rude by Magic!

This song has been on the radio and spotify and in commercials and EVERYWHERE. Which is unfortunate because I can't stand it. Not a good singer, not a good concept, not good lyrics, no musical talent behind it. I can't stand it.

Jackelyn Bautista

In my review you might have hear me mention that I actually like music from games and such. This song has to be one of my favorites from all time, this is taken from a boss fight from Final Fantasy XII (12) and the main battle is about you fighting a summon, or a monster that you can obtain but in order for you to "be worthy of it's power", you need to defeat it in battle. For those that are not familiar with the theme of RPG (role-playing games), a summon is a creature that is used to aid you in battle, for example some help you defeat your enemies with brutal force while other can increase your health and stats and help you endure a massive boss fight. Anywho, this is great, I love the vocal in the background and it totally sound like shizz is going to go down here. Absolutetly love, it totally gets me in the mood setting :)

I don't hate Frozen at all. Nice movie, nice CGI and stuff but this one song.

Just no.

This song is so awkward. The voice is so squeaky and the first time I heard it, it made me cringe. I started to count the minutes as to when the song will end, not to mention that there is a really awkward pause when Anna and Elsa get older and the song just suddendly resumes. I know what is the purpose of this song tho, it is fairly simple, two sisters that are slowly growing each other apart due to one have an uncontrollable ability to dominate ice. Ok, the message behind it is nice but the voice it awful. Also, that song got way too popular is social media pages like meme in Facebook and Tumblr. It was really getting old and very, VERY, used. Also, the singer need to tone it down a bit, she's squeaky.

Shane Parton

There aren't many songs that I say I hate, but this one, without a doubt, is at the top of the list. "Escape" by Rupert Holmes. Lyrically it may be the stupidest song I've ever heard, and it makes me angry just thinking about it. "Escape" tells the story of a couple who, separately, take out personal ads with the intent of cheating on one another. Inadvertently they respond to each other's ad, and are both surprised by this fact upon meeting up (this song was written back in the print ad days). They have a good chuckle and their relationship is strengthened by what they've learned of each other through the personals. UGH!! I could write a better song by vomiting alphabet soup! Ok, perhaps that was harsh, but man, I hate this song.

Songs I love is a more challenging category because there are too many. My first impulse was to post a demo version of Stevie Nick’s “Gypsy”. It’s a recording of only her and the keyboard, bookend with her discussing the song with her producer. It’s a rare find. What I love about her music is that it’s evident that every word she sings, she has felt. There’s a life, a fire to her music that I find of interest. It is about passion, poetry, and storytelling. She also hails from the same era as old Rupert so I updated my submission. “Different Pulses” from Israeli singer/songwriter Asaf Avidan. I think this song holds true to the items I’ve just discussed.  

Aziza Jeghir

There are so many different songs that I absolutely love and will play on repeat, so this was quite the challenge. As Tall as Cliffs by Margot and the Nuclear So & So's is probably one of my top favorites. One of my favorite bands, the song in question is from late 2008 and one that regardless of how many times I listen to, I can listen to it one more time. It has never lost it's charm on me even as my tastes changed and shifted directions. Using orchestral instruments to complement the typical rock band sounds, its light and cheery almost in its sound. The lyrics on the other hand are pessimistic and a bit negative. They speak of a relationship, vague in its exact context or type, but in a way that is relatable the way you choose to interpret it. And the way Richard Edward sings feels personal and real which makes it almost intimate listening to his woes. Its a contrast that I really enjoy and think works really well.

For a song I dislike I'm going to have to say Wake Me Up by Avicii.

When the song first came out there was a huge hype about his album that was just being released, which included this song as it's single. I remember constantly hearing radio DJs absolutely raving about how great this song was, and how excited they were for the rest of the album and blah blah blah while driving around. This went on for a couple of weeks and somehow I hadn't heard it yet. After constantly hearing all this great comments about the song, ALL, THE, TIME, I was thinking 'geez, I really have to hear this song!' While I hadn't heard Avicii's single yet; around the same time there was this awful song that kept being played that was driving me nuts. I had no idea who it was by at the time, but it was a weird mix of techno/edm type beats with this country song twang to it. It was such a strange combination to me, I just couldn't understand why someone would approach those two genres and think, "these would sound great together!" The lyrics were cheesy and repetitive and there is just something about it I cannot stand. The worst part of this mess of a song was that undeniably, it was incredibly catchy. Rationality aside, this just fueled my dislike for the song. Especially when I would inadvertently find myself singing along or having it randomly pop in my head. Eventually I realized that the abomination of a song that was terrorizing my car drives was the crazy hit by Avicii. On that day, the radio DJs of KROQ and ALT98.7 lost a little bit of my respect.

Songs I Love////Songs I Hate 

Gabriel Rojas

Song I Like:

"Lookin Out My Back Door" - Creedance Clearwater Water

The rythm and the lyrics are what makes this song a favorite of mine. They are narrative and can hear a story play out. The ryhtm is quite fast and then towards the end it slows down and the lyrics are pronounced long. The guitar in the intro is what hooks me to the song. It is a song you can hum to as well kind of groove to. I only picked this song because I listen to it twice everyday.

Song I Dislike:

Nicki Minaj - Anaconda.mp3

"Anaconda" - Nicki Minaj

Niki Minaj's song "Anaconda" is quite unoriginal. It is a spin on Sir Mixalot's "Baby Got Back". The song uses beats and lyrics from the original. I think the lyrics of the song are too much as she describes the guys she's had relations with. I can say the song is conceited in the way she brags about herself. She also critizies people who don't have large gluteaus maximus like her. 

Phoenix's Most Loved and Hated Songs

Song I Love

Sakura Drops by Utada Hikaru

I was still in high school when this song came out. Utada Hikaru was on my playlist more than anyone. When I first heard this song it took me to a magicall place with its beat and melody. Utada's vocals tell a stroy that thought I can't understand I leave my world behind. When I hear this song it is like I'm hearing it for the first time and I enter a world of creativity.

=========

song i hate

A$AP ROCKY - F**kin' Problems ft. Drake, 2 Chainz, Kendrick Lamar

Everytime I hear this song a piece of my soul dies. It is like these 4 people got together and were lets make a song with the most cuss words and lyrically stupid. I can't believe people rock to this. I remember when rap actually told stories and weren't just about at "tight" beat.