Reflection on Experimental Radio

worth 2% of course grade 

Due: Oct. 13

As an assignment for the next week you will choose one of the Close Radio episodes and write a response to it. Include how you might change the way you develop your radio program, or perhaps how it won't.

Make sure we know who you are when posting your review in a new rich text module below.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Resources listened to in class:

Orson Welles War of the Worlds

More info

John Duncan, Paul McCarthy Close Radio

http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/evidence_movement/close_radio.html

Steven Matheson Apple Grown in a Wind Tunnel

Marcello Mercado Broadcasting Bio-information

Stelarc Ear on Arm

John Cage Imaginary Landscape No. 4

Water Walk

UVB-76  

SETI Wow! Signal

Bad at Sports

More on numbers stations

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

War of The Worlds

Hakob Minasian

I listened to War of the Worlds this week and I have to say it was really exciting. I think that the most successful works of art really know how to capture a mood. This radio show was so successful at capturing a mood that people too kit really seriously when they heard it for the first time. I was always curious why people reacted the way they did when they heard this radio special but now I really get it. I really like the idea of having a fictional news broadcast. It's interesting to me because it reflects a piece of written literature but it somehow manifests itself into something really real. I would really like to do this kind of thing for one of my own stories.

Experimental Radio Reflection

Andrea Schmidt

89. Douglas Huebler presents The Poetics, "Dream Lover" 

Wow that was weird. It was very comical, but a juevenile kind of comical that in some places that could come across as simple and crass as opposed to well-executed. But it definitely gives me an idea of all of the things radio can convey. The guy, Mike I think, who was speaking to the presenter said it was originally a stage show. Obviously you can't see the stage part, so it was interesting to me to have an audio 'stage.' It doesn't necessarily make me change how I want to approach the KLMU broadcasts, but rather reinforces my interest in setting up my own 'stage' on the airwaves. 

Reflection on Experimental Radio by Cara Friedman

I listened to Story Lines Stuck in Buffalo 77 by Martha Wilson. It was interesting and little bit funny. There were a bunch of versions of this story read in very monotone voices and the were read in a way in which you could really hear the story. She read them really fast and without breaks or breathing or pausing of anything. They sounded like a bunch of random words formed together. It was funny because she even read some of the punctuation. It was a little unbearable to listen to after some time. The way she reads it us very uncomfortable. It was a funny experiment and you don’t focus on the words or the story at all. You are just stuck on the random words you pick up. In terms of what I would change for my show, this is really just an example of what you should’t do at all. Never speak that fast, that quiet, and that confused.

Reflection on Experimental Radio by Jackelyn Bautista

I listened to Alfandega Cattaragus by Stuart Rapeport and the 17 min podcast was about a song and a poem that talked about the daily life in Los Angeles. Honestly, I found this to be quite depressing. The song was playing over and over and I quickly grew tired of the man that was singing it, but toward the end they actually mentioned Otis and that drew my attention and made me do small research about how Otis was originally called Otis Institute of Art, and how it was tied to Parsons. I think that was the highlight of the show for me. As for the show itself it was just way too depressing for me, mainly because that is how LA is. I woulden't add this to my show, I want to entertain people, not make them feel grim and stuff. 

The way the World of the Worlds was presented was absolutely amazing. I have always been fond of novels and hearing the first audio novel with such great narrations is absolutely great. The effects they put to it so it has that extra level of realism is super cool. There is a moment in which one forgets that this is just a novel, in fact as some point it feels like you are really there. If someone were to randomly tune into the show with no knowledge that this was going on, they'd buy the idea that aliens were attacking the planet. The narrator was a great way of changing his tone and making it severed and also a bit omnious when he suddenly interrupts the music to give you the status report. It's a little creepy I must admit, but this is great. The voices even change, which adds character and personality which makes it much more real and better than a modern-day audible. I've heard some audibles before but it's the same voice all of the time, which makes it obvious that it is just an audible. Overall, I love this show, and I think I  might want to portray something similar to this in my group's radio show. I'd really recommend this show to anyone, it's creepy but awesome.

Experimental Radio Show Reflection by Vanessa Quintanilla

The Close Radio episode that I chose was Cheri Gaulke, who, while dancing would read “The Red Shoes,” by Hans Christian Andersen. It was presented on February 7, 1977. I was drawn to this one specifically because of the title. I have always enjoyed fairytales and to see that there was going to be a reading of one peaked my interest. It was also interesting to see in the information section that Cheri Gaulke would be dancing during the reading.

I thought it was quite interesting to hear her read the story while dancing, since I already knew the story and what it entailed I completely understood why she was dancing, I thought it was a nice touch. At first I thought it was a bit distracting, the listener is going to listen to someone read a fairy tale and while that is going on, they are dancing and little by little you start to hear the exhaustion in her voice. It actually turned out to be quite engaging to hear. Her voice was not a monotone voice, but a light female voice that even at times, changed to fit with the scene within the story. I personally found it enjoying and entertaining, it fit for me with the story. It was a story I enjoyed and I also enjoyed the interpretation of a theme within the story carried out in the performance.

When looking at the question of, if there was anything from that show that I might want to take to our radio program, I enjoyed that it wasn’t quiet while she was reading. And although I don’t want to have my group dancing or something while talking, maybe the idea of having something going on the background could make our radio show comfortable and casual to listeners.

Experimental Radio Show Reflection by Phoenix

CarMen...The Opera by Ant Farm

So I picked this program which was 13 minutes and 22 seconds long. When it was introduced as an opera I wanted to turn away but I decided to stand with it. The recording sounded really amateurish as I felt the sound levels switching from left to right on my headphones. When I heard the first car horn I started wondering what this had to do with opera than I looked at the title again and realized it was it CAR opera. Act Two was a little better on my ears as Act One made me feel stressed with all the car horns going off. With the various engines racing on my ear drum I felt like I was at race track or something. Act Three was pretty cool as it was presented as drums but after away it grew quite hectic.

Overall I wouldn't listen to something like this again. I felt so stressed like I was sitting in LA traffic. I heard audience members clapping but I wonder to myself why go sit and see this while you can live this just driving everyday. I guess for my radio program I can see how I can find music that will audience members can relate too and can attached an emotion too much like I did with this.

Orson Welles War of the Worlds

Listening to this made it seem more like a live event than a novel. Listening to it we know it is a novel but as you listen to the way it is presented you feel like it is happening live. From the supporting voice actors made the presentation very dynamic. The use of language to describe what is happening leaves everything to the imagination which very impactful. In a age where everything is visual using our imagination to picture something that is described to us makes things personable. I couldn't help but feel my heart racing when I heard the people being killed by the aliens. nThe radio interjections where good to add depth to the whole show. It helped give a difference a places from where the alien's were being seen and music show. The sound effects really helped to visualize the place where things are taking place. The individual reports from professors and people in the military gave me a feeling of how fearful this situation is. I have to say the way the show was put together to present the novel was well thought out. I can see why people freaked out. For one you are pulled in to the show wondering what is going on in the planet because of all the eye witness reports around the world. You left only with your imagination which is scary.

For my show I really want to play with sound effects in terms of making the listening picture where we are at. In my group they want to present food from different places in Asia. I can no picture creating sound effects to make it seem that we are presenting from a different country to talk about the food.

Shane Parton

Judith Barry “SSSSNAIL”

I just listened to 21 minutes and 30 seconds of what was meant to be oral relaxation techniques to aid with claustrophobia. I don't know whom these techiques would help. They actually didn't seem like techniques at all. In fact just listening to them on their own was a little anxiety inducing. A bit creepy. There was breathing, panting, papers rustling, whistling, soft voices, loud voices, jingling noises... she even recited the alphabet and had an orgasm! This was definitely experimental to say the least. 

I don’t know that this program has inspired me to change our idea, but it definitely moves my mind outside of the box. Could we, should we, do something weird? And if so where’s the line with retaining and losing a listener? I wouldn’t have listened to the entirety of Ms. Barry’s show if I didn’t have to. It did give me comfort for broadcasting our show though. Should I freeze up on air now I know I just have to pant.

Close Radio - Experimental Radio Reflection

---------------

Gabriel Rojas

The episode from Close Radio I listened to is John Baldessari’s “Second Language, Trying for the Worst with Doris Cypis”. The episode is John and a female discussing John’s idea of communicating with his friends that speak more than one language aside from English, and say a insult over the air.

I think the change can come in with the person being interviewed to start saying insults more often. The girl in the audio mainly talks about the insults in Polish and her parents saying them in their langauge. The audio piece becomes mostly about the girl translating her insults and talking about them. One would expect to hear constant insults in a foreign langauge but instead a conversation with Baldessari and the girl. The audio itself seems to unedited. There are gaps in the piece where no one is talking, and can’t decide if its over. However, I do like the piece in its entire, including the audio glitch that goes during the phone conversation.

Listening to Baldessari’s voice is quite interesting now, only if you have heard him speak. He himself seems like a calm person. An audio piece like this, I think references the artist much quicker than any other artwork of his, even more with his recorded voice.